Michigan Conference
United Methodist Archives

 

Search Website

Adrian College:

Detroit Conference United Methodist Archives Facebookemail

Albion College:

Detroit Conference United Methodist Archives Facebookemail

Henry R. and Cleo Beatty

Rev. Henry Robert Beatty

Only one day intervened between the closing of the Detroit Annual Conference September 18th, and the translation of Rev. Henry Robert Beatty, our pastor at Chelsea, where he had just been returned for the fourth year by Bishop McDowell. As he left the Fair Grounds at Ann Arbor for home his heart ceased to beat; after 47 years of constant service, the "gates of gold" were let ajar, and his manly Christian soul was with God.

He was the seventh child of David and Charity Beatty, born October 12th, 1874, near Corunna, Michigan. Soon the family moved to New Lothrop where he grew to manhood, and he was converted at the age of 20. He graduated at Alma College in 1897, and the same year became assistant pastor to Rev. N. Norton Clark at Williamston who at the close of his two years of successful work, united him in marriage to Miss Cleo Culver, one whom he had led to Christ. To them were born three sons and one daughter; Howard, of Ann Arbor; Daniel, Wayne, and Helen, of Chelsea. Besides these dear children and their mother, five brothers and two sisters mourn his sudden departure.

His appointments were Williamston, 1897-1899; Prescott, 1899-1902; Pinconning, 1902-1904; Romulus, 1904-1908; Dundee, 1908-1910; Grass Lake, 1910-1915; Blissfield, 1915-1919 and Chelsea, 1919-1922.

He dearly loved his work, but ever cherished with special pleasure preaching to the Indians during his pastorate at Pinconning.

For a quarter of a century he was a tireless and faithful soldier of the Cross of Jesus Christ our Lord. As a family man he led a joy life in his Christian home. As a social man he won the hearts of all classes. Being fraternal, he became a brother beloved in the Masonic fraternity and a Knight Templar; he belonged also to the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Grangers, and the Western Washtenaw County Farmers' Club, thus being a friendly man among men that he might win some.

He was loyal to God and his country. The spiritual life, the inner life imbedded in the Word of Life made him love a lost world and win men to our Lord. The radiance of his home life was a power behind the throne that will ever live. Christ-like nobility never dies. About 25 of his brother ministers gathered in his home church at Chelsea, with a multitude of sympathetic friends from various parts of the state, September 23rd, 1923. Rev. A.W. Stalker, D.D., of Ann Arbor, preached the gospel of comfort to sorrowing ones and inspired the great audience by the life of the Rev. Henry R. Beatty to try to live in the spirit of Him who made him great and lovable and true man of God.

The interment was at Williamston where he began his ministry.

- Detroit Annual Conference minutes of 1923, pp. 559-560

Mrs. H.R. Beatty

Henry S. Schofield

On December 2nd we buried Mrs. Cleo Beatty, the widow of the late Reverend H.R. Beatty. She had taken care of a step-sister and the strain was more than she could stand; although we were not prepared for the shock of her sudden passing on the morning of November 29th. The Reverend H.R. Beatty died very suddenly at Chelsea, some five years ago.

Cleo Culver, the only daughter of Levi and Helen Culver, was born December 4, 1877, in Leroy Township, Ingham County. Her early years were spent at home. She taught school in adjacent school districts until August, 1899, when she was united in marriage to Rev. H.R. Beatty, then assistant pastor of the Williamston Methodist Church, Rev. N.N. Clark being the pastor. September 2nd of the same year they received their first appointment to Prescott, serving successively and successfully to Pinconning, Romulus, Dundee, Grass Lake, Blissfield and Chelsea, where the husband died. They served in all, twenty-three years in the ministry of the Methodist Church. Her family survive her. David and Helen at home, Wayne of Lansing, and Howard of Ann Arbor.

The services were held in the church at Williamston on December 2nd and her body laid to rest by the side of her husband. The services were in charge of her pastor, the following brethren assisting: Rev. S.J. Pollock, and Rev. B.A. Crampton read the scripture, Dr. Eugene Allen offered prayer, Rev. Alfred Eddy, Rev. Hadley Bennett, Rev. Hudgens, and Rev. L. Ostrander assisted at the cemetery. The bearers were Brothers Eddy, Hudgens, Bennett, Crampton, Ostrander and Pollock.

"A wonderful being, mother:
Other folks may love you,
But only a mother understands you.
When she leaves you - like a guardian angel
Her memory is always with you."

- Detroit Annual Conference minutes of 1928, pp. 159-160