Michigan Conference
United Methodist Archives

 

Search Website

Adrian College:

Detroit Conference United Methodist Archives Facebookemail

Albion College:

Detroit Conference United Methodist Archives Facebookemail

Commission on Archives & History

Detroit Conference Cane

The Detroit Conference Cane was implemented in 1904 to recognize one hundred years of Michigan Methodism. Its creation coincided with the founding of the Conference Historical Society, now the Commission on Archives & History.

Detroit Conference CaneThe cane is presented to and held by the oldest ordained elder of the Conference who has served in the Conference for at least thirty-five years and lives within the boundaries of the conference. Each recipient holds the cane for the remainder of their life, and upon their death it reverts to the Conference. Each recipient's name is placed on a plate added to the cane.

The body of the cane is made from wood from the church in Adrian where the Detroit Conference was founded. The cane contains wooden inlays from the first Methodist Church building in River Rouge, the desk of Seth Reed, the tree that overlooks the grave of Barbara Heck, wood from the pulpit of Robert Strawbridge, and the building in which Judson Collins converted to Methodism.


Detroit Conference Cane Recipients